Raymond A. Jacobs
Professor of Business Administration, Ashland University, Ashland, Ohio.
How to reach me
My current schedule
- Office Hours:
- Monday 10:00AM - 12:00NOON
- Tuesday 8:00AM - 9:15AM
- Wednesday 1:00PM - 2:00PM
- Thursday 8:00AM - 9:15AM
- other hours by appointment
- Teaching Schedule, Spring 1999:
- MBA 503 (33 Miller Hall, Tuesdays, 6:00PM-9:00PM)
- MBA 503 (Columbus Campus, Wednesdays, 6:00PM-9:00PM)
- BUS 319 A (33 Miller Hall, Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9:25AM
- BUS 319 B (33 Miller Hall, Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10:50AM -
- Teaching Schedule, Fall 1998:
- BUS 240 (39 Miller Hall, Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9:25AM - 10:40AM)
- BUS 319 (15 Miller Hall, Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10:50AM - 12:05PM)
- BUS 340 (32 Miller Hall, Tuesdays, 6:30PM - 9:15PM)
- MBA 503 (Columbus Campus, Wednesdays, 6:00PM - 9:00PM)
Selected Academic and Work Experience
- Professor (tenured), Department of Business Administration, Ashland University, Ashland,
OH. Currently teaching graduate (MBA) and undergraduate courses in Operations Management,
Management, and Management Information Systems.
- Associate Professor (tenured, Fall 1993), Department of Business Administration, Ashland
University, Ashland, OH.
- Assistant Professor, Dept. of Managment, Radford University, Radford, VA.
- Assistant Professor, Dept. of Management, Clemson University, Clemson, SC.
- Territory Manager and Marketing Manager, Burroughs Corporation (now Unisys), Richmond,
VA and Newport News, VA. Analyzed requirements of potential customers, wrote proposals,
gave presentations, provided training and technical support, and supervised implementation
of Burroughs minicomputer systems.
- Ph.D. Business Administration (Operations Management), Univ. of North Carolina, May 1985.
- M.S. Operations Research and Systems Analysis, Univ. of North Carolina, August 1982.
- B.A. Economics and Math./Computer Science, College of William and Mary, May 1977.
Selected Publications, Presentations and Grants
- R. A. Jacobs and R. T. Symons, "Increasing Educational Productivity and Flexibility
Without Sacrificing Quality, Proceedings, SE INFORMS 34th Annual Meeting, October
- R. T. Symons and R. A. Jacobs, "Multi-Level Process Mapping:
A Tool For Cross-Functional Quality Analysis", Production and
Inventory Management Journal, Vol. 38, No. 4, Fourth Quarter 1997, pp.
- R. T. Symons and R. A. Jacobs, "A Total Quality
Management-Based Incentive System Supporting Total Quality Management Implementation",
Production and Operations Management,Vol.4, No.3, Summer 1995,
- C. L. Crute, R. A. Jacobs, and K. E. Stine, "Sink or Swim: Catching the World Wide
Web Wave in Higher Education", Proceedings, SE TIMS/INFORMS 31st Annual
Meeting, October 1995, pp.144-146.
- K. E. Stine, C. L. Crute, and R. A. Jacobs, "Surf's Up: Using World Wide Web
Technology Across the Curriculum at Ashland University", Proceedings, SE
TIMS/INFORMS 31st Annual Meeting, October 1995, pp.147-149.
- R. T. Symons and R. A. Jacobs, "To Fully Benefit From SPC, Redirect The Focus From
Product To Process", presented at Midwest Decision Sciences annual meeting, April
- R. T. Symons and R. A. Jacobs, "A Multi-Level Process Map
Approach For Process Definition In A Quality Analysis", presented at Annual
Meeting of the Decision Sciences Institute, November 1993.
- R. A. Jacobs and H. M. Wagner, "Reducing Inventory System Costs by Using Robust
Demand Estimators", Management Science, Vol. 35, No. 7, July
1989, pp. 771-787.
- R. A. Jacobs and H. M. Wagner, "Lowering Inventory Systems Costs by Using
Regression-Derived Estimators of Demand Variability", Decision Sciences,
Vol. 20, No. 3, Summer 1989, pp. 558-574.
- V. Sridharan, W.R. Newman, S.M. Chapman, and R.A. Jacobs, "Evaluating the
Interaction Between the Manufacturing Environment and Planning and Control Systems", Journal
of Manufacturing Systems, Vol. 8, No. 4, 1989.
- Co-investigator with J. J. Kanet on "Non-traditional Capital Investment
Criteria", one of three sections in the "Apparel Advanced Manufacturing
Technology Demonstration" contract funded by the Defense Logistics Agency (principal
investigators C. W. Jarvis and J. C. Peck, contract number DLA900-87-R-0998), October
1987. Overall funding for the initial three-year contract was $3.5 million, with
approximately $300,000 allocated to our section of the contract.
Courses Taught at Ashland University
Other Campus Activities
- Lead Professor, Management Faculty, 1998-present.
- Chair, College of Business and Economics Tenure and Promotion Committee, 1998-present.
- Member, Building/Facilities Task Force, College of Business and Economics, 1998-present.
- Member, MBA Curriculum Task Force, 1997-present.
- Member, Ashland University Academic Review Committee, 1995 - present
- Chair, Academic Review Visit Team (Library), Spring 1999.
- Member, MBA Curriculum Committee, 1994-present.
- Co-advisor to Ashland University Student Chapter of APICS,
- Member, Department of Business Administration Tenure and Promotion Committee, 1997-1998.
- Member, Dean Search Committee, 1997.
- Member, Academic Review Visit Team (Theater Department), 1997.
- Chair, Academic Review Visit Team (History and Political Science Departments), 1997.
- Co-coordinator, Ashland University School of Business and Economics Computerized
Business Decisions Contest (for high school students), 1991-1997.
- Member, Provost's Summer Governance Task Force, 1996.
- Co-advisor for Delta Mu Delta, 1991-1994.
- Chair, Ashland University Curriculum Committee, 1994-1995.
- Faculty Representative to Academic Affairs Committee of Ashland University Board of
- Faculty Representative to Accreditation, Mission, and External Perceptions Committee of
Ashland University School of Business and Economics Advisory Council, 1991-1994.
Decision Sciences Institute (DSI)
The Institute for Operations Research and the
APICS -- The Educational
Society For Resource Management
Production and Operations Management Society (POMS)
This document was last updated on February 10, 1999